I'm creating a solo dance theatre piece for a women's theatre festival in April. It'll be performed virtually at the end of April.
I'm exploring post-partum depression through this piece - not just my own but I also want to hear from other mums around the world who have experienced PPD. Part of the ''soundtrack'' to this piece will be moms voices sharing their experiences - mostly short snippets.
If you or someone you know experienced PPD (or PP anxiety, or PP rage) and feel secure and safe enough in yourself at this stage to share a little in an audio file, I would be grateful for just two minutes of your time answering a couple of questions on a voice memo that can be used in the soundtrack. All you need to do is talk into your phone.
The intention with this piece is to highlight a part of early motherhood that is not talked about enough, and is often (in my opinion) the direct result of us all living in a white supremacist, individualistic patriarchy. To that end I want to make sure I amplify BIPOC voices - please let me know how you identify when you send me your mp3 / mp4 file. Answers do not need to be in English.
All the voices on the track would be listed as anonymous, so you can be as real and honest as you want. (Swearing / random noises are ok - whatever comes out). We may not use snippets from all files we receive, (for example, if there's too much background noise or we just receive a lot) but hope to use as many as possible to give voice to this.
Thank you, dear ones, for helping me create this pretty vulnerable piece of art. Thank you for sharing with friends.
If you are interested:
* Please record yourself on your phone or computer - you can use the ''voice memo'' app, or just video the floor while you answer and I can extract the audio
* Answer any or all of the questions you feel you can
* e-mail mp3 or mp4 file to me at email@example.com, letting me know how you identify
* it would help the sound engineer if everything ended up being less than 2 minutes total
We are looking to collect all these voices by the end of this week Sunday March 7th 2021
Thank you, so much,
(If you're currently experiencing PPD, feel free to answer in the present tense)
1. If you remember it, what was your lowest point?
"My lowest point was..."
2. If your thoughts had a voice back then what were they saying?
"My thoughts were / are saying..."
3. How did you feel about those thoughts?
4. What were the main, overriding feelings during the first year or two of parenthood for you?
5. If there was something that ultimately got you through / helped you, what was it?
"What turned things around for me was..."or "What has helped me is..."