Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

 

Happy St. Patrick's Day

and news on the new piece!

Happy day of celebrating Ireland!

I'm realizing that a lot of Americans don't actually know that St. Patrick's Day is a proper holiday in Ireland - it is! It's not so much (these days) a time to celebrate St. Patrick (though I know some more religious folk still do) - rather, for my and younger generations, it's a day to celebrate our culture, and the resilience of the Irish spirit, through 800 years of repression, famine, and the legacy of trauma the church has left. In Ireland (when there isn't a pandemic) we celebrate with a week long family friendly festival of art, music, theatre and culture, as well as parades with gorgeous floats and costumes. 

I hope you all have a beautiful day and celebrate it the way we do in in Ireland - not just with drink ! - but with music, dance, art, poetry and love for each other. 

Here’s one of Ireland’s current rising stars, Tolü Makay with a beautiful cover of a Saw Doctors song about an Irish emigrant. They released it at Christmas and every time I watch it I’m in tears again.

I'll most likely use some Irish music in Friday's class ;-) 

Register now!

Friday 9:30am - 10:30am Pacific time 
Sliding scale $10-$25 
FREE for BIPOC 


 

March
2021
REGISTER for CLASS

New work!


I'm currently in the studio at night working on my current performance piece. It's a piece giving voice to postpartum depression and hearing from those who've gone through it and come out the other side. 

I am feeling really grateful to be working with some incredible people on this project, and I am looking forward to sharing it with you all. It'll be broadcast online as part of ''Heroines, Harpies and Harlots'' - a woman's theatre festival produced by Beulah Vega in conjunction with Cloverdale Performing Arts Center, here in NorCal. 

Barely A Person

Directed by: Jess Headington
Soundtrack and composition: Laura LAIR (Ireland)
Choreography and movement: Rachel Wynne
Lighting and location: Dana Hunt 
Film and editing: Sean Pettis 
 

No comments: