Thursday, October 1, 2020

October 2020 Schedule of classes

 

October: The best month.  

Traditionally my favorite month of the year is October, my birthday month. It's autumn, the weather is a little cooler, I get to wear jeans and make soup again.

And yes, it's now apparently "wildfire season'' here in California, which sucks. I hope if you're reading this, you're safe from fires and any other natural disasters. We had the Shady fire here last week, about 10 miles from us, so that was an intense few days, but despite the smoky air outside we seem to be safe for now. Many of our friends are still under evacuation orders. 

So while the fires burn, 2020 continues in all it's tumultuousness, and we're keeping tabs on the external in our lives, let's make sure we also tend to our internal body of affairs: our bodies, our hearts, and our nervous systems. Yesterday at our expandance and restorative yoga class for the cancer community, a few people joined who are currently evacuated. Having a space to come to (albeit virtual) to let go of stress and tension can help ground us so profoundly. Here's what a couple of them said: 

"That's the most relaxed I've felt in five days. I felt the fear and the sadness just melt away. A real healing, thank you" - S.A. (currently evacuated)

"Thanks so much for this class. I really enjoyed it. Going to keep this in mind to do daily. I really liked it" - J. H.

With the recent fires, on top of the pandemic, life with a toddler and everything else, I found myself ending September completely exhausted and drained, and decided to make a few changes to my classes during October in order to give myself a re-set. It's no good preaching self care if I don't practice it too ;-) 

See below for the schedule changes for October, (yay extra classes!) - I hope you'll join me for your own re-set.

Remember: A rested activist is a more efficient activist!

~ Rachel, about to turn 39

p.s. Fun fact: my little brother and I share a birthday, yet we're not twins! Each year we get on the phone and sing ''happy birthday to us!"

Get your calendars out! Here's the October schedule:

Thursday Oct 8th / 9:30am - 11am Pacific

1.5 hour expandance workshop
$23 
Register here
You registration is not complete until payment is received:
You can pay via Paypal 
or CashApp / Venmo @ expandance 
Please write in the memo the date of the workshop you're attending

Tuesday Oct 13th / 8pm - 9pm Pacific 

1 hour class
Donation based 

Register here
FREE for Black, Indigenous, and People of color, as well as for undocumented immigrants (regardless of what country you're in). For everyone else, please pay what you can; $5 - $25 suggested. 
Donations can be made via PayPal here or Venmo / CashApp @ expandance


Friday Oct 30th / 9:30-10:30am Pacific

Donation based 
Register here
FREE for Black, Indigenous, and People of color, as well as for undocumented immigrants (regardless of what country you're in). For everyone else, please pay what you can; $5 - $25 suggested. 
Donations can be made via PayPal here or Venmo / CashApp @ expandance

Ongoing Wednesday Classes
"Release & Restore" / 5:30 - 7pm Pacific


1.5 hour class - expandance & restorative yoga every Wed
Taught by Rachel Wynne & Sarah Jenness in conjunction with St. Joseph's Healthcare
These are FREE wellness classes for the cancer community - wherever you are at in your journey with cancer (in treatment / remission / survivor). Modifications available for anyone with mobility constraints. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. 
Please RSVP to Sharon at 
Sharon.doughty@stjoe.org 

"
Release and Restore was exactly what I needed. It is true to its name: I was gifted with the space, safety, freedom, and encouragement to listen deeply to my body, contact my inner experience, and move and release what had been stagnating within; then, I got to melt into a warm, cozy sound bath while resting in regenerative yoga poses. Really, what more could I ask for?! I have been twice already, and will go again. Every time is a different experience. As a mom of a toddler, taking this time to care for myself is invaluable (not only for me, but for my family who receives a more grounded and rejuvenated me afterward!) and worth every penny". - Erin W.


PLEASE NOTE: NO Friday morning classes for the month of October

Remember; with expandance:

❤️ you don’t have to be a dancer
❤️ you don’t have to be “fit” or look a certain way 
❤️ all you need is zoom and you 


"Expandance is where your mind is set free and your inherent body wisdom opens up to releases with movement. Rachel's kind voice reminds you to let go of self judgment and free your mind. A beautiful healing experience! 

Truly love your work!  Thank you!" - Nicole Incaudo, May 2019

Register for Oct 8th workshop
Register for Oct 13th class
Register for Oct 30th class

New Instagram!

Have you checked out the expandance Instagram?

I'll be sharing my artistic and choreographic processes, old and new videos, class reminders and more. (Hopefully, one day, post-Covid, there'll be performance updates on there too again)

Come say hi!
https://www.instagram.com/expandance/

No comments: